Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do acrylic paints normally require a well ventilated room or am I developing an allergy?

I like painting with acrylics, but the last couple of times I've tried the fumes have made me cough a lot and made my throat feel weird. I used to paint in my parent's kitchen. I now live in a room which is a lot smaller. Do I need to open a window or switch to another medium (gouache or something)Do acrylic paints normally require a well ventilated room or am I developing an allergy?
You are the first person to draw attention to this matter and I'm rather pleased you did.





Over a year ago, I began to notice that I was stinking the house up with my white acrylic paint. OK, it wasn't the best brand on the market but, for my purpose (heavy-textured mixed-media work) it suited fine. However, the fumes were awful and even the cat gave me an 'old fashioned' look! In order to eradicate the pong, I bought a tub of Daler-Rowney System 3 white acrylic from my local art shop. Any improvement? - NO! It stank to high heaven and I had to use one of those 'fresh air' gel pots to calm the stench. My sinuses didn't like the fumes at all, believe me!





Went back to the art shop and asked if there was a problem with acrylic paint. Apparently, no. Later tubes and tubs of white seemed to be odourless ... until I bought some black! Same problem, headaches, blocked sinus, dirty looks! Then the 'black' seemed OK, several tubes later ... until I started on the magenta - Worst fumes yet!!!





To be honest, I do not know why acrylics should be causing these problems. To think, I thought my oil paints would cause offence - now THIS!!!





Must say, things have improved a bit lately but, please, in order to save you from being an artistic outcast, open a window or get yourself one of those 'fresh air' pyramid thingys from the supermarket. You will probably find that the more expensive acrylics like Liquitex will be totally odourless.





Don't switch your painting medium if at all possible. Do want you feel is best for you ... and open that gel pyramid!!!





Good luck!Do acrylic paints normally require a well ventilated room or am I developing an allergy?
First off listen to what your body is saying and don't hurt yourself with them. House paint types of acrylic bother me. You might try craft acrylic in the clear bottles. My favorite type is Anita's acrylic craft paint. College students use the cheep bottle types - things cost too much, and its just the same thing only not as thick. With this type of paint you don't need thinners only water to thin them. In fact that may be your problem. I would have someone else clean up your paint containers and bag them up and give them to a local YWCA or art group or something.
I've never had a prob with acrylics. Open a window. Gouche is a pain to work with. Or try oils.
I am asthmatic and I paint in my small bedroom and I have never even noticed fumes from the acrylics I paint with so I think you have a problem.
it would help alot more if ur room was ventilated. i took an art class in school and it was always ventilated because of all the other chemicals. altough we worked with oil paint. hmm i kind of miss painting now.
It would probably help to open a window or something so you aren't directly breathing in the paint... But I have never had a problem with it. And it doesn't say anything on the bottle about it... Hope i helped :D
I've never had a problem using acrylic paints and not experienced any particular fumes, as you have. However, as a precaution you could open a window to help prevent this from happening. Oil paint is another medium which you could try but, as you know, it does take much longer to dry than acrylic paint, this being the main advantage of acrylic! If you do decide to try oil paint, there is also the possibility of again suffering from the fumes given off by white spirit and turps so really you can't win! I think most artists suffer one way or another for their work! Good luck and hope you manage to overcome your problem.
You just might be allergic Ive never needed to open any windows when Im painting with it. My teenage son uses it in our lil apartment also. So I would check with your Dr. to see whats up.
Acrylic fumes, have never harmed any one that I know of.


I could be wrong,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, tho I doubt it.





Oil painting is always the best method. Oil paint provides


manipulations, that the present acrylics can never reproduce.





If fumes are your problem, switch to watercolor, or gouache.





happy days





http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N4JVnels鈥?/a>
id say open a window. ur obviously an artist, if youve used acrylics enough to have an allergy to them. what id give to be as much of an artist as you! im just like acrylics...nottttta problem. you have an allergy. that is way better than my status! go you! keep artsying it up!
acrylic paints are typically no tthat harsh. I think that when you use any type of chemical medium it is best to be in a well ventelated area. I'll bet if you open up the windows you would be just fine!! Good Luck!
I have painted with acrylic for years and for me they have no fumes. However is is always a good idea to paint in a well ventilated room. ( open a window or use a fan or one of those sharper image air purifiers) Varnish with the regular palamar mediums but use any solvent based varnish or sprays outside or in a bigger space)


Acrylics were invented by a chemist in the late 1950s who wanted to make a safe,non toxic paint as oil paints were killing his friend. They are used in schools because of the non toxic characteristics of the paint.


You don't want to clean your brushes for instance by rubbing them into the palm of your hand with soap as this can drive the pigments into the skin which could cause a problem.


You might want to contact the manufacture of the paint. I prefer liquitex heavy body artist paint.
Maybe change your brand of acrylic paint. There is one brand I can't use called Prima. No one else can smell anything, but I can, and it drives me crazy. In a small room try a fan to keep the air moving.
I have been using acrylic for some years and it never affected me. If it affects you should be in a ventilated area. That is the best thing to do. If you can find another medium which works better and does not give you those symptoms you should switch but acrylic is the best I've used.

No comments:

Post a Comment