Sunday, February 7, 2010

Regarding modeling paste for adding texture to acrylic paintings...can joint compound be substituted?

Modeling paste for acrylic paintings is very expensive...I came upon joint compound for drywall finishing...it is a lot cheaper - actually it is only 1/10th the price of modeling paste. Has anyone worked with this...I am currently experimenting to see how it goes. It dries fast and cracks a little (which is fine for my needs) I wonder about it's durability. I am coating it with acrylic paint mixed with glaze ....anyone have any experience here?


ThanksRegarding modeling paste for adding texture to acrylic paintings...can joint compound be substituted?
I have used Poly Filler and Plastic Padding as used in car repairs I also use car spray paints sometimes.Regarding modeling paste for adding texture to acrylic paintings...can joint compound be substituted?
FYI: I tried this joint compound on canvas...I coated the compound with acrylic paint mixed with glaze...it is not coming off, cracking, flaking. It has been sitting in my basement with the heater going (drying out) looks like it works.

Report Abuse



One with a plastic texture would be ok, a plaster based one would not.
Personally, I would not use it at all. You could ';lose'; part of your painting as it possibly would chip off. I use less dilutant and more paint, and use a palette knife or something else other than a brush for texture.





Sponges, cottonballs, etc can be used for texture. Try fine mesh screen for grid work patterns.
I need to know what kind. If it is spackling, with crack and fall right off. If it comes out of a box, (IE. magnum, Pro) you will find that it will crack. If it is powder, (quick set) it will dry very fast (20min) and crack.


What are you using for base? Canvas? Wood? You will find that it will hold up, try moving it after two weeks. It will fall off.





You have to have something the mud will stick to unless it is very thin. If you are using this as a texture, Heavily you need a wire mesh for the mud to attach to.





If your texture is thin then a fiberglass mesh is available. If you use nothing the mud Will fall off or flake off.

No comments:

Post a Comment