Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Which do you prefer Oil or Acrylic Paint?

what are the advantages to using either one and which would you recommend?





I want to try to make a collage painting of all the things that inspire me by using different mediums (newspaper, cloth, metal,etc), but i dont know what will be a better choice oil or acrylic...


Im exploring and i dont want to spend a lot of money on something i wish i knew more about. I would be painting on canvas.





Thank You!Which do you prefer Oil or Acrylic Paint?
Different mediums appeal to different folks's styles... I personally love acrylics and I can do anything with them - including make them look like a traditional oil. And yes, you can even correct mistakes easily when you know how.





Regardless of what you may prefer for 2-D work, for what you want to accomplish here - that is, add inclusions of various materials - acrylics is the only medium that will allow you to do that. You can use gloss mediums to adhere bits of fabric and newspaper, and a heavy gel to glue 3-D objects to your support. These mediums dry fairly quickly (half an hour, giving you time to manipulate the objects), and cure overnight so you can add another layer.





Be sure to varnish it when you're done since acrylics remain porous even when cured.





If you were to try this with oil-based mediums, you'd be waiting weeks or even months between layers since you must wait for each layer to dry before continuing. Also. oil mediums like linseed oil have a yellow tint and will discolour or even ruin the objects you are including.





Have fun with your creative project!Which do you prefer Oil or Acrylic Paint?
Acrylic is usually cheaper.





But it absolutely depends on what you are planning to do.





Oil usually takes forever to dry, whereas acrylic dries pretty fast.





I prefer oil for landscape and acrylic for modern art.





You should really try what you feel more comfortable with.
FORGET OIL if you want to do collage on top of the oils. I have been trying to glue stuff and transfer images onto oils for years. You have to wait 6 months to a year for the oils to totally totally dry. I love working in oils and I hate how fast acrylic dries. However, I don't want to wait around a year to take on the second half of my painting.
I prefer oil. Acrylic just tastes funny to me.
...both...do the background in Acrylic and the rest in Oil ...
I prefer oils mostly becuz it takes so long to dry that if ur not an excellent painter (like myself) you have the time to correct ur mistakes. Acrylics dry very quickly so there is very little room for mistakes when using them.


I think for collage purposes you should use acrylic cuz the dry faster
Depends about your situation. Do you want a nice juicey texture then go with oils for that impasto look. Then again if you have very little experience go fot acylics. For a college I thinki acylics is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment