Thursday, February 11, 2010

Will an oil stain applied over an acrylic stain dry or stay tacky?

I am distressing steps on a staircase. I put an acrylic stain on first then sanded the edges and parts of the step itself. Next I applied an oil based stain and hand rubbed it on. (I felt that this would hold up better than glaze.) Have I messed up? I am a little concerned that it is not drying properly. It has been about 5 hours and is still a little tacky. Will it dry? I guess I will know in the morning since it is a done deal. Should I apply a sealer and what kind (after it drys)?Will an oil stain applied over an acrylic stain dry or stay tacky?
Hey Delores...when doing these things you don't 'mess up', you learn. I think it might dry overnight (oils are slower curing), if not then get some mineral spirits and some clean cloth and wipe it down good, or you could do it now if you think you made a mistake. I'm not a fan of acrylic stains but I know the oils. For a finish..I like the waterbourne crystal clear finish by DeVoe but they are all probably about the same...just remember to apply 2 or 3 very light coats instead of 1 thick one, stir regularly ( don't shake), and sand between coats.....good luck!
  • skin bleaching
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment