Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I can't find fabric paint where I live, could I use acrylic paint instead?

I know that it is hard to get acrylic paint out of clothes. I want to paint a design I have onto a t shirt for my daughter but I can't find fabric paint and when I do find it, its not the colours I want. I don't trust buying things onlineI can't find fabric paint where I live, could I use acrylic paint instead?
yes you can but you will also need to get a special additive for it.


some acrylic paints can also be used as fabric paints with special care. Read the bottles carefully and talk to the staff at your local craft store.I can't find fabric paint where I live, could I use acrylic paint instead?
Do you have a Walmart nearby? If so go to the sewing and fabric area and see if they've got it...I've seen it there before or go to a Hobby Lobby.
Go to Craft World they have the lot, you can get then on line.
Another person that answered before me, basically made the suggestions that I would have as far as stores to find fabric paint, being Walmart/in the fabric section OR Hobby Lobby OR Micheals. Not sure where you are located. Years ago, before you could easily find craft/fabric paints that you can now, I used regular acrylic paints to make a ';splatter shirt'; for my little sister. (now you can buy the paint to do stuff like that right in a spray bottle) I filled inexpensive mustard/ketchup plastic squirt containers with the acrylic paint and made the splatter shirt for her by shooting the various colors from those containers. Had to watch the paint for going on too thick in spots, since if it was too thick it might cause it to crack on the shirt. It took along time to completely dry. We never put the shirt in the dryer. Always hung it dry. Washed it inside out on ';delicate';.


BUT...SINCE YOU HAVE A DESIGN YOU ARE DOING...I came across CRAYOLA ';FABRIC MARKERS'; at my local Publix Grocery Store. They were in the school supply section or area with all the other Crayola Products. They are Very Easy to use! Drawing as well as filling in your design...just like using markers! All the directions are right on the Crayola Box they come in, and they also give you a website to go to for more Info or for Help if you need it. After finishing your project. You just let it all dry, which is really pretty fast. Then, you follow the Directions, again right on the Box. And you Heat Set your finished project, either with an Iron or you can use your Clothes Dryer. They even tell you all the washing and care info...as well as recommend the best fabrics/material types to use for alot of different items. Like Shirts, Tote Bags, Tennis Shoes, Hats, Ball Caps...etc...The Colors are Bright, not Neon. Ten markers come in the Box. (colors are:black, brown, purple, red, orange,dark blue,kind of a royal blue, dark green, light or lime green,and yellow.) I WAS REALLY SUPRISED HOW GOOD THEY WORKED AND HOW EASY IT WAS TO MAKE TOTE BAGS WITH THEM!! I usually use Paint Pens/markers...and sometimes I'll have one of those that will gush out blobs of paint when I don't need it to...makes a big mess and has messed up projects beyond repair. I did wish there was a Pink, white, gold, silver marker I could have gotten too. But, having it be so easy to work with was just great! MAYBE YOU COULD FIND THESE CRAYOLA FABRIC MARKERS IN YOUR AREA. You never know, I just was looking for Publix to mark down the current stock...to begin making room for school supplies that they bring in way too early! They will mark current stock sometimes Half Price! So, I buy it early, then we already have it when it 's needed for school to start in August. I LOOKED UP AND SPOTTED THE CRAYOLA FABRIC MARKERS HANGING THERE, and they were Only about $5.89 or so, less than six bucks. Good Luck with your Project for your daughter! Hope it turns out Great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment